Spicy Sesame Shiitake Jerky
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce 1 small garlic clove, grated or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chili flakes- or more if you like it really spicy!
- 1/3 cup water
Combine all marinade ingredients in a small saucepan over medium high heat, bring to simmer, then stir, remove from heat, and let cool. Pour over mushrooms and refrigerate in a sealed plastic bag for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Preheat (ideally convention) oven to 225 degrees.
Drain the mushrooms (reserving marinade for another batch) and place separately on a baking pan lined with parchment paper and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, turning once or twice during roasting time until the mushrooms are tender and chewy and dried around the edges. Remove, let cool and enjoy. Store leftovers in a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Heat 2-3 inches oil in a heavy saucepan to 330-350 degrees, and fry the wontons, working in batches until golden brown.